Re: *Occur in buf*?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: *Occur in buf*?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:37:38 -0400

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:42:16AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> > IWBNI M-x occur created an *Occur in buf* buffer so that I wouldn't have
> > to do this, rather than *Occur*.
>
> I like your idea.
> unless there are objections, I will install the appended patch.

The reason why it's common for commands such as occur to use a global buffer
is that otherwise you end up with lots of random buffers cluttering up things.

I would suggest to instead make a C-u prefix to occur create a unique buffer,
and keep the default behavior as-is.

Also note that a more general solution is the `clone-buffer' command, which
duplicates the current buffer with a unique name; in some modes such as info
this is bound to M-n (in occur though, M-n is bound to `occur-next', though
that command actually doesn't seem to work).

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.