Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar
Date: 06 Aug 2002 10:05:48 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar "
> * Sent on Tue, 06 Aug 2002 08:38:27 -0500
> * Honorable Ed Reingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
> The diary processing code does NOT require that diary-file be writable
> or start with a newline.  At least it is not supposed to.  However, if
> the file does not begin and end with newlines they MUST be added or
> the simple diary display mechanism (selective display) cannot work;
> but this is done in a protected way, however (at least I thought it
> was).

diary always leaves ~/.diary with the leading newline that it adds, and
it has always done it.

> By the way, if I had my druthers, there would be no simple diary
> display, only the fancy one, and the problem would not exist.  The
> simple display is and has always been a problem; I added it at RMS's
> insistence.

I suggest that you remove it.
RMS reads this list - I hope he will withdraw his insistence.

At any rate, these are two separate issues: the redisplay crash and the
newline in diary.

PS. may I suggest that you add some defvars in diary-lib.el to avoid
compiler warnings?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>