Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: 26 Aug 2002 12:20:21 +0200

Alan Shutko <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > I guess most users will agree that knowing the time is
> > important around lunch time and near the end of the day :-)
>
> It's also mail, battery status, and upcoming appointments for me.
> Some packages I don't personally use which seem to use
> global-mode-string include timeclock and viper.

IMO, showing the global-mode-string only once makes sense.
Having it in every window seems to be overkill.

So what about making the global-mode-string appear to the right in the
echo area when it is not in use for other purposes?

That (usually) empty line at the bottom of your screen could easily
show the time and battery status without too much eye strain...