Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:33:28 -0400

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> My suggestion is to move the global-mode-string to the
> end of the mode line; the cost is that the time and
> battery status isn't always shown (especially in
> partial width windows).

I've just updated to your changes, and I really don't like them.  In
one file, it took me from having everything in the modeline displaying
on an 80-character-wide window to losing half of my battery status.

People put stuff in global-mode-string because they always want to
see them.  They don't want to lose it because the mode-string is too
long!

Personally, I think that the global-mode-string information is more
important to me than the modes, and this new change is exactly
opposite my priorities.  I think that most people would probably agree
with me.  Can we have a survey of some sort to decide whether to keep
this change?  (Right now, I yanked the entire mode-line setup out of
the old bindings.el, but that means I lose out on actual
improvements.)

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - In a variety of flavors!
Hell, I don't know. Just ask me, I'll tell ya.