Re: Customizing key bindings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings
Date: 09 Sep 2002 10:52:34 +0900

>     3. Load foo-extra or call a hook that uses define-key to change the
>        binding for the same key to C.
>     4. Customize the keymap.  I think it is ok to see binding C, because
>        after all that is what happens to variables as well.  The problem
>        is that when the user removes the binding for that key, we revert
>        to binding A, instead of B.
>
> I think my two-keymap solution, with a modified define-key, would
> handle this right.

Please elaborate.  What is `my two-keymap solution'?  How is it
different from Per's?

> (It would also prevent C from being visible while the customization is
> in effect.)

... which is the wrong thing in the case of a hook.

[Note that if `foo-extra' uses a `defkeymap' variant of some sort to
define C (which it probably would, if `foo' does too), then that could
be used to make custom aware of the A->B change.]

-Miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I