Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:09:29 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:
> I suspect that many people use a 1024x768 screen with the default
> fonts, a white background and all that, but am not sure.  I run the
> default fonts in the `plain vanilla' Emacs, but have a higher
> resolution screen.

> Do others on this list have a sense of what should be a good default?

At the above is first mail I read thoroughly on this topic,
I don't know if this idea has already been discussed or not.

I think the right thing is to decide the tooltip X/Y offset
according to the size and position of the rectangle area
that activates the tooltip, not according to the mouse
position.  Then we can make tooltip never overlap with the
rectangle area, for instance, by aligning the bottom-left
corner of the tooltip with 5/-5 offset from the top-left
corder of the rectangle area will be good.  This is for
people who use the default mouse cursor.  People who use a
mouse cursor of which hot spot is at bottom may want to
allign the top-left corner of the tooltip with the
bottom-left corner of the rectangle area.

Example:
     |        tooltip text          |
   |  ICON         |
   |     or MENU   |