Re: BUG: which-func-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: BUG: which-func-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:07:35 -0500

>     > It turned out that `which-func-mode' was using `walk-windows' to update
> the
>     > mode-lines in all windows.  It selects each window and forces a
> mode-line
>     > update in it.  But by selecting the window, it silently disrupts the
>     > `buffer-list'.  This is the bug.
>
> I tried to fix this in one way last fall, by changing select-window
> not to alter the frame-selected-window in some cases.  That caused
> other problems.  So in December I undid that change
> and tried another fix:
>
>     2002-12-23  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>
>
>       * window.el (save-selected-window): Save and restore
>       selected windows of all frames.
>
> If this doesn't fix te problem, why doesn't it?

In his case, it seems the problem is not that the frame's selected
window is changed (which was the problem you're referring to), but
that the buffer-list is changed because Fselect_window calls
`select_window_1 (window, 1)' where the second arg causes select_window_1
to call `record_buffer (w->buffer)'.

        Stefan