Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:01:09 +0100

> I think the right solution is to bind pop-up-windows to (or
> pop-up-windows compilation-error-pop-up-windows) where
> compilation-error-pop-up-windows is a new user option.  That will
> make everyone happy.  Want to do that?

Perhaps.

Why is does the name of the option contain "error"?  After all,
compilation-goto-locus is also used for grep, for example.

Let us first establish if we really need:

1. one such new variable for every sitatuation
2. one such new variable for some of these sitatuations
3. one new variable for all situations

Personally, I only need one new variable, and I'd probably like it for
*all* situations: (and pop-up-windows important-pop-up-windows).  I
would like to add such a new variable to Emacs, and use it wherever
pop-up-windows is bound to t at the moment.

important-pop-up-windows would default to t, setting both
pop-up-windows and important-pop-up-windows to nil would achieve the
behaviour I want.

Let me explain why I am pretty sure that I think I really never want
to split windows:

When I work with Emacs at the moment, I often have 6 or 7 windows open
in one frame, and I only use one frame.

Undoing a split usually involves C-x o C-x 0 -- and even them I am not
always sure that C-x o takes me to the correct window and that C-x 0
does not enlarge some other window instead of restoring the original
window configuration.  So every pop-up interrupts my work flow.

I used to think that C-x r w 1 (store window config in register) was
the way to get back easily to complex window configurations, but it
turned out to not work.  For one, it remembered buffer positions,
which is bad if you have a window showing a buffer that grows (shell,
sql, irc), or if you have a window that may show different buffers at
different times (gnus group, gnus summary, gnus article, or message).

Alex.