Status of MAC/W32/X consolidation -- second major patch committed.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Status of MAC/W32/X consolidation -- second major patch committed.
Date: 21 Mar 2003 16:10:11 +0100

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > As you may have seen on emacs-devel, I'm in the process of
> > consolidating the various ports of CVS emacs for X, W32, and MAC.
>
> More consolidation patches will following in the coming days/weeks.

As "promised", I have just committed another major patch to
consolidate the remaining duplicate code from xterm.c, w32term.c and
macterm.c into xdisp.c.

So far, a total of 15000 lines of code from those three files have
been merged into just 5000 lines in xdisp.c.  There are still a few
minor thunks of duplicate code left, but IMO it's not worth the
efforts to squeeze those files any further.

My next step is to consolidate the duplicate code from xfns.c,
w32fns.c and macfns.c.

The ChangeLog has this blurb about the second major patch:

        The following changes consolidate code related to writing and
        inserting glyphs, exposing frame, the tool bar, the mouse face,
        the output cursor, and help echo from xterm.c, w32term.c and
        macterm.c into xdisp.c.  It also generalizes the use of the
        window_part enum instead of using numeric values throughout.

Again, I have only been able to test this on X (under GNU/Linux), so
there may be some problems compiling (and running) the consolidated
code on W32 and MAC.  The MSDOS port may also be affected by this
change.

Please report any problems to me (unless you can fix them yourself).