Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:37:57 +0100

Thanks for the info, Eli.

"Eli Zaretskii" wrote:

>> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:45:07 +0100
>>
>> ...I think the "Emacs Lisp Archive" is long dead, so I would
>> propose to delete all references to that...
[...]
> If no one disagrees, please go ahead and do this.  However, it might
> be a better idea to leave the reference to the archive and say that
> it was not updated in years.

I thought it didn't even exist anywhere on the net, but it seems the
ftp archives are still at

ftp://ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/emacs-lisp

I do think it should be downgraded to a largely historical footnote
though.

> As the Copyright line shows, Reuven Lerner does not maintain the FAQ
> actively for a few years now; we do. You will see in "cvs annotate"
> that many non-trivial changes were done by us in the FAQ over the
> last years.

Yes, I saw the CVS changes. But at the top of the current FAQ it says:

    If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact the FAQ
    maintainers <address@hidden>.

I guess that should be changed to M-x report-emacs-bug for
suggestions, and help-gnu-emacs for questions then...

A couple more related questions for anyone who knows:

What's the best way to get changes made to
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/? One of the FAQ links is
out-of-date. Is mailing address@hidden the best thing?

Similarly for updating the text version

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text

What's the best way to make plain text from Texinfo?

Should a FAQ be posted to gnu.emacs.help on a regular basis? I know a
lot of newsgroups that regularly post FAQ lists. Personally, I'm not
sure it helps much.