Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:46:41 +0300

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 09:35:42 -0400
>
> > > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> > > Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:14:30 -0400
> > >
> > > 2 - (info "<node name>") is a better way than using `g' since the
> > > `somebody'
> > >     can just click on it (or hit C-x C-e).
> >
> > That requires to use "M-:", which, I think, many Emacs users don't use
> > (if they even know about it).
>
> Funny, I never thought about using M-: to evaluate it.
> I'd only ever seen mentioned C-x C-e.

You are nitpicking, Stefan: does the difference really matter, except
if you want to annoy at all costs?  M-: and C-x C-e are equally unused
by many Emacs users.  I'd dare to say that only those of them who
wrote some Lisp know about these commands (or evaluation in general).

> But the thing is (or should be if it's not for you) highlighted
> and clickable, provided you read it in Gnus.

So we have 2 conditions: read it in Gnus and on a graphics display.
What about when these conditions are not met?

> And it's a lot
> more user-readable than C-h i g (you don't have to interpret it
> as a command, but just as a special syntax).

I have a difficulty parsing this, but you don't have to explain, since
it seems like a moot point anyway.