Re: desktop

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: desktop
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:11:11 -0400

    As a wrote in my previous mail you should not call desktop-read in your
    .emacs file,

I don't remember seeing that.  Here's what the manual says now:

      To use Desktop, you should use the Customization buffer (@pxref{Easy
    Customization}) to set @code{desktop-enable} to a address@hidden value,
    or add these lines at the end of your @file{.emacs} file:

    @example
    (desktop-load-default)
    (desktop-read)
    (setq desktop-enable t)
    @end example

Are you saying that the second option is a mistake?

Otherwise, it looks like desktop-read should set desktop-enable.
Is there a case where people want to use desktop-read without
setting desktop-enable?

    I suggest we make desktop enabling into a minor mode:
       - Rename variable desktop-enable to desktop-save-mode

That's ok, if we preserve compatibility with a variable alias.

       - Introduce an autoloaded toggling function desktop-save-mode

That seems ok too.

       - Get rid of desktop-remove

Why do that?

    If we let desktop-save-mode default to nil, users that don't want
    desktop saving wont be bothered. Users that want desktop enabling should
    turn it on desktop-save-mode using customize, or put
       (desktop-save-mode 1)
    in their .emacs file.

Ok.