Re: APOP support in movemail

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: APOP support in movemail
Date: 10 Nov 2003 14:33:19 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    The X Consortium requests that the following names be used when
>    referring to this software:

>                             X Window System
>                               X Version 11
>                       X Window System, Version 11
>                                   X11
>
>    Please respect their decision.

[...]

> You may respect the decision of the US trade mark office but I do
> not.

You may not respect the X Consortium's wishes, but others do.

> I used the word `Windows' before and still do to refer to X10 and X11
> when talking with people for whom these are the salient window
> systems.  It is misleading for me to do otherwise.

There is no sense in butchering up communications with everybody else
just to placate your own idiosyncratic choice of words.

I consider the creators and maintainers of the system to be a better
reference with regard to what it is called than you.