Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 19 Nov 2003 13:18:07 +0000

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    > .... The next step would be to persuade the Mozilla/Galeon
>    > developers to make it easy to bind next, prev, up, last,
>    > regexp-search, and spacebar to keystrokes, so you could avoid the
>    > mouse. ....
>
>    It would be better to provide an XSLT. The XSL could handle things
>    like keystrokes by associating javascript actions with markup (eg:
>    nodes).
>
> Does that mean we would not have to ask the Mozilla/Galeon developers
> to do anything, but that the XSLT file would provide all that is
> needed?

Well, enough that it makes adding code to Moz look overkill.

> If so, this sounds like an excellent idea, since it would mean that
> the documentation on remote Web sites could be navigated through,
> searched, and read nearly as easily as Info documentation locally.
>
> I would especially like to see keystrokes for navigation, like `M-s'
> for the equivalent of `Info-search', n, p, u, and spacebar.  Then I
> could read a great deal that is remote from my machine and, as a
> consequence, from me.

You'd be limited on the emulation of emacs keys... I suspect ESC-s
wouldn't work for example, but ALT-S might.

I'm not sure how web standards hold up on modifier keys.

Search is an interesting one... I'm not sure how you'd implement
search. Modern Javascript does have regular expressions... so it
might be possible. XSLT 2.0 has regexs too, as do many XSLT 1.0
implementations out there... so it might be possible with XSLT as
well.

Straight forward would be:

- next/prev
- begin/end