Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:00:53 +0200

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
> Also, the question of conflicts would arise.  If there is both an index
> entry and a node with the same name, what to do?  Or two index entries
> with the same name?

There is exactly the same problem with anchors: no anchors with the
same name are allowed within one Info file.  So we can't make anchors
for two index entries with the same name.

The problem with anchors is even worse: both a node and an anchor with
the same name are not allowed in one Info file.  If there are a node
and an anchor with the same name then after following a reference with
their name the stand-alone reader always prefers a node, whereas Emacs
reader prefers an anchor.

There is the same problem with a completion list of all node names and
anchor names (called by the command `g').  Even if we make a separate
command to select an anchor this will break older Info readers that
don't allow to separately select nodes and anchors.  So older readers
will fail on Info files with anchors and nodes with the same name.

> Making them take a sixth argument or something does not sound all that
> appealing, although maybe it is the cleanest thing.

Making a sixth argument is a good idea and deserves to be elaborated
further.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/