Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:27:05 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>    > From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>    > Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:31:41 +0200
>    >
>    > Yes, there is another problem with similarly named references: how to
>    > select a reference unambiguously from a completion list.
>
>    Doesn't the stand-alone reader handle this correctly?  (I don't
>    remember.)  If it does, we could do something similar in Emacs.
>
> The user invokes `f' and starts typing in the minibuffer.
>
> If the node is not unique because the _file_ is not unique, the
> stand-alone reader chooses a node based on the value of point in the
> *info* buffer.

Yes, the stand-alone reader handles this somehow interestingly.
A completion list always has only one unique name, but if point is
somewhere above the first reference with this name in Info node then
after selecting a reference name from a completion list it goes to the
node from the first reference.  If point is somewhere below the second
reference with the same name then it goes to the second node.  If
point is between first and second reference with the same name then it
goes to the closest node.  We could do similar in Emacs if
disambiguating reference names in a completion list by adding node
names to them is undesirable.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/