Re: Showing end of buffer

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Showing end of buffer
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:55:22 -0500

>     > That's what I would expect, too.  Lines don't necessarily come near
>     > the right margin, so the indicator in the right margin can be far
>     > away from the text.  They should all be on the left.
>
>     But there may be a continuation glyph there if the last line is a
>     continuation of the previous line.
>
> That is an annoying problem.  But I still think it should go on
> the left.  We should not let that obscure case make us handle
>
>     Where should the up and down arrows go?  In the left fringe as well?
>
> What do the up and down arrows mean?
> (I have not seen this code running as of yet.)

The up and down arrows indicate whether portions of the buffer exist
outside the window in either direction.  Combined with the top and
bottom markers, this makes a good visual alternative (and one that
is, for me, much easier to view at a glance) to the Top/Bot/All
indicators in the status bar.

I strongly suggest trying it out.  Your opinion may differ from mine,
but I find the current representation very visually pleasing.  If the
arrows are to move to the left, I would like the option to move them
back to the right.  More specifically, I would like the arrows on the
opposite side as the scroll-bar.  I would have no problem with them
defaulting to the left in a scroll-barless configuration.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)