Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:51:34 -0500

    Minimizing the amount of changes is a worthy goal but it should not take
    precedence over the goals of: - consistent behavior - maintainability What
    this means is that it would be better to integrate the support for occur and
    the support for grep and compile rather than add a layer on top of the
    support for grep and compile.

You are probably right.  But I think the biggest problem here will be
finding th right rules for this command to follow, which will give
results that the users like and find natural.

    > 2) next-error is IMHO a bad name for a function that finds the next
    >    match in grep mode, and the next occurrence in occur mode.

    That's probably tru.  If you can come up with a better name, maybe we
    can change it.  I don't find dwim-next to be much btter.

dwim-next is not very good, because it is very vague about
what sort of thing it will do.

How about goto-next-locus?