Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:53:48 -0500

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, address@hidden wrote:

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:35:26PM -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> when occur-mode is called, and then I can rewrite dwim-next as
>> needed.
>
> I'm confused; since `next-error' already supports the desired
> functionality, why is `dwim-next' needed at all???

Two reasons:

1) next-error does not support the occur mode, which was what started
   the discussion in the firts place.  I tried to fix this with
   minimum changes to the Emacs sources.

2) next-error is IMHO a bad name for a function that finds the next
   match in grep mode, and the next occurrence in occur mode.

The second reason is no big deal, just my opinion.

Ted