Re: Emacs 21.3.50 grep.el/executable.el problems

From: Markus Rost
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.50 grep.el/executable.el problems
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:23:48 +0100

   > I suggest following simple fix, at least as a temporary solution.
   > I'll install it, if one of the maintainers agrees.

   Please go ahead and install it together with Ehud's additional
   patch for symlinks.

I did not install anything, because I did not experience any problems
with symlinks, but perhaps found another bug:

I have the following value of data-directory:

data-directory  => "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc/"

I renamed directory etc to etc1 and symlinked it back:

  /var/tmp/cvs/emacs:
Y lrwxrwxrwx    1 rost     users          23 Feb 16 17:05 etc ->
/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc1

Now I get the following confusing returns:

(file-symlink-p "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc/") => nil
(file-symlink-p "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc") => "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc1"

Note the missing slash in the second call.  If I use relative
symlinks, I get:

  /var/tmp/cvs/emacs:
S lrwxrwxrwx    1 rost     users           4 Feb 16 17:17 etc -> etc1

(file-symlink-p "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc/") => nil
(file-symlink-p "/var/tmp/cvs/emacs/etc") => "etc1"

Note that the latter would not be useful for
executable-command-find-posix-p anyway, because one would need an absolute
file name.

PS:  I don't have any time at all to go further into any of these
problems.  Sorry.