new compile command brokeness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: new compile command brokeness
Date: 16 Mar 2004 16:38:48 +0900

When I do `M-x compile RET', type make, and get a bunch of errors, and
then try `M-x next-error', it doesn't work, and instead just says
`Moved past last error'.

The actual *Messages* output looks like:

Fontifying *compilation*... (regexps........................................)
compilation-next-error: Moved past last error

If I go to the *compilation* buffer, and use `C-c C-c' on an error
line, then that succeeds, and subsequent uses of `next-error' also work
properly.

BTW another point I noticed is that while the old compile command
caused the `current error' (the error last selected by next-error)
to be the top-line in the *compilation* window, the new one doesn't,
making it something like the 3rd line or so.  This makes which error is
current much harder to see; if it's desirable to not use the top of the
window (maybe to see more context?), then I think the current error
should be highlighted or something.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde