Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:55:03 +0100

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:23:34 +0100
Danilo Segan <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's only a reason to educate them better, not to adjust behaviour.

Many people don't have the time to be "educated". I've introduced a few
friends to Emacs and they're using it happily, but they just won't spend
the time to learn features they feel they're not going to need.

> I suggest you try "emacsclient -n +5 path/to/file"

I don't use emacsclient, but I *do* use gnuclient.exe and gnuserv.el
(I'm on Windows), which have the same functionality. Still, I routinely
use M-x goto-line.

> For those
> that are not willing to go the "better" path (of course, if it becomes
> a consensus that this is actually "better", I'm not insisting this
> is), they can always customize their keybindings.

Yes, that's what I've done, so I certainly won't insist on M-g being
goto-line. Still, making goto-line more accesible that "set default font"
seems sensible for all these "uneducated" people out there which don't
want to spend too much time learning Emacs, i.e., the exact people to
whom the customize stuff is addressed...

> With the examples you mentioned, it seems that you haven't made use
> of emacsclient so far; I recommend it, since it's been my $EDITOR for
> a long time. ;)

In fact, I routinely have Emacs running all the time and have an alias
"em=gnuclient -qF" so I can edit files with "em filename.ext". gnuclient
is also my editor-cmd in Subversion, so Emacs comes forward to edit
Subversion commit logs, etc. etc.

Really, I *do* know there are alternatives. I use some of them, and the
ones I don't use, is because they're not that useful/comfortable to me.
I refuse to be "educated" to do things in ways I've already discarded ;)

                                                                Juanma