Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:14:16 +0100

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:49:19 +0100
Danilo Segan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Apart from programming-like stuff, I really cannot imagine lots of
> examples that really need goto-line.

`next-error' is a particular case of the general one: processing an
input file and getting some info related to specific lines in the input
(be an error, the matching of a regular expression, or whatever). As
has already been said, Emacs can not embrace every single use of the
general feature "going to a line of a file for whatever reason". If it
could, there wouldn't be a `goto-line'.

> I still cannot imagine a real world example where such a thing would
> be _commonly_ used, but I'll blame my programming-deviation on that. ;)

I've already put a few examples of real-life, both mine and from people
I've directly observed.

> I think I'll ease on the spamming of emacs-devel for a while :)

Yeah, I think we've pretty much beaten the dead equine to a pulp... :)

                                                                Juanma