Re: Display-local variables (Re: It is time for a feature freeze)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Display-local variables (Re: It is time for a feature freeze)
Date: 20 Apr 2004 12:18:37 +0200

address@hidden (Lőrentey Károly) writes:

> Do you know an easy way to provide this functionality without
> Lisp-level display types?  (Well, I guess I could assign an id number
> for each display, but that does not sound like the Emacs Way.

Well, I don't see that it would be wrong to use e.g. an integer to
identify a display in emacs.  For example, characters and keymaps are
not 1st level lisp objects either.

But in some cases it would probably be nice to identify a display as
e.g. #<display 5 on 1.2.3.4:0.1>.  But you could do (display-name id)
to retrieve that information when needed.

In any case, you must find a way to do this generically for the non-X
ports.  An integer would probably work fine there too?

> For example, handling deleted displays would be hard to do right.)

I don't quite follow.

The functions that operate on a display object vs. display id must
still ensure that DISPLAY_LIVE_P or some such -- probably by
traversing some list of active displays.  Whether it does that by
looking for a display object or a display id doesn't seem to make much
difference to me.