Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:33:46 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

> When people use a special-purpose frame like this, they would not
> mind if C-x b switches to a window in another frame.

Speaking for myself, I'd actively want that behaviour, rather than
just "not mind". When I set up such a special frame, I want Emacs to
leave it alone, and to use another frame for Help buffers and such.
I'm happy for it to pop-up another frame if it needs to, rather than
messing with the existing one.

> Looking at the code, I see that values other than t allow
> switch-to-buffer in the window. It looks like this feature was added
> along with making switch-to-buffer check the dedicated flag, and was
> not documented at all.
>
> Such a third option could be useful. However, the name
> set-window-dedicated-p implies a flag that is true or false. With
> three significantly different states, this is no longer a binary
> flag.

Indeed, it's a confusing behaviour.