Re: Possible problem with Gnus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Possible problem with Gnus
Date: 11 May 2004 14:40:09 +0200

> We have to pay attention to an issue of how Gnus and other Emacs mail
> readers treat MIME attachments.
>
> Windows viruses often spread in attachments for Word.  We have to make
> sure that attachments don't become a method for spreading viruses in
> Emacs.  Some kinds of attachments run applications that perhaps can be
> assumed safe, such as a gif displayer.  But attachments that run more
> complex attachments, such as a browser that might execute programs
> given it, have to be treated as unsafe.
>
> I don't use Gnus.  How does a Gnus user specify to display an
> attachment?  Does the user do this for one specific attachment,
> or for all the attachments in one message?  Does Gnus ever display
> attachments in a message without a specific direct user request
> for that message?

No, and you have to explicitly ask for display/extraction of each
attachment separately.  The only exception AFAICS are inline image
attachments not exceeding a specific size, and text mode stuff like
rich text.  I don't see any application for an exploit here.  The
worst that can happen is that an invalid image manages to overflow a
decoding buffer in case that there is a bug in the library.