Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:35:59 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sending new commands to perform file-readable-p canbe tricky because
>> the remote shell might be in any intermediate state, so we'd need to
>> detect this state, save it and restore it when done.  Or else open
>> up a new connection.
>
> Opening a new connection actually seems the most promising approach to
> this humble poster.  Managing multiple connections is already on the
> todo list -- it could be used for compilation buffers, for instance.
> So just opening a new connection on a reentrant call would be fairly
> easy to do, once the infrastructure is in place.

I have the feeling that at first we need to have a locking mechanism
in Tramp for "atomic" file operations. This would prevent us from
mixing different commands send to the remote side, which seems to be
the cause of the trouble. File operations will be handled one at a
time from a queue. Obvious disadvantage is delay in response.

Optimization (like multiple connections as mentioned by Kai) would be
the next step. But I doubt it is usefull for such operations like
`file-readable-p', given the overhead of a new connection.

> Kai

Best regards, Michael.