Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:54:39 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   So we in three levels of tramp handlers and two levels of
   accept-process-output, wait_reading_process_input, and timer_check.

   I just installed a change to make wait_reading_process_input reentrant
   which may or may not be relevant to this crash.

Apparently it is relevant of sorts.

Note that Lars Hansen has reports and backtraces of crashes using
Tramp _without_ global-auto-revert-mode being enabled.  Maybe these do
not happen any more after your change.  Mine definitely do not happen
any more but for strange reasons.

Before I visited one large file using Tramp-ssh, without problems.
Then visiting a second large file got an "Invalid base64 data" error
(just because it is the second file).  Tried again.  Crash.

Now when I visit one file using Tramp-ssh, Emacs freezes.  In my
personal Emacs, I can still quit with C-g because I put in calls to
with-local-quit.  In CVS Emacs, this is an outright freeze.  My
with-local-quits do not help very much, because it refreezes 0-5
seconds later.

I can not check whether the crash still occurs after your changes,
because I can no longer carry out the recipe to produce the crash.  I
wonder why I was able to do so _before_ your change.  The cause for the
freezing bug seems obvious:  It is now completely clear that
global-auto-revert-mode should not try to revert remote files over a
slow connection.

I plan to disable auto-reverting of remote files using
global-auto-revert-mode, with a user option to re-enable it for people
with fast connections that are permanently on-line.  For other people,
there just seems to be too much ugliness involved.  I believe I will
do this tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Luc.