Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 00:41:11 +0100

Peter Lee <address@hidden> writes:

>     Jason> Cygwin make is only suitable for making Cygwin programs.
>
> Make parses a makefile, it doesn't create programs.

What make does essentially boils down to running programs with
arguments, which are often filenames generated by make. The reason
Cygwin make does not work (and has never worked except for a brief
period when we had cygpath hacks in the makefile that ended up
breaking builds on mingw make) for bootstrapping Emacs is that Cygwin
make generates Cygwin style paths, which Emacs recognizes, but only
through code in w32-fns.el which is not yet loaded during
bootstrapping.

> The reason I use cygwin make in this case is because mingw make
> chokes parsing emacs makefiles.

In what way?