Re: display word wrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:54:38 -0400

    I've always thought that since the display engine does `proper' wrapping
    for variable-width characters already (variable-width fonts, tabs, etc),
    which really seems to work awful darn well, maybe it wouldn't be too
    hard to trick it into treating words in the buffer as `characters' for
    wrapping purposes.

I am not sure what those words mean.  Do you mean word-wrapping at
redisplay time without use of real newline characters?

This causes problems, not just for C-n, but for all editing
facilities that have something to do with newlines.  So I think
we should try a different approach.

I think we should do this by extending auto-fill instead, making it
seamless, so that the buffer has real text with real newlines.