Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:55:52 +0200

> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:24:21 -0700
> From: Bill Wohler <address@hidden>
>
> > It looks like you forgot to either "cvs add" or "cvs ci" the new file
> > mh-xemacs.el, because "cvs up" deletes mh-xemacs-*.el, but doesn't
> > bring mh-xemacs.el.
>
> No, I did not include it in the GNU Emacs repository because it is not
> used by GNU Emacs.
>
> >                      Also, the files MH-E-NEWS and README (mentioned
> > by mh-e/ChangeLog) seem to not be in the repository, either.
>
> The README, which explains how to install MH-E from the tarball at
> SourceForge, isn't needed by GNU Emacs users who are using the built-in
> version of MH-E.
>
> I did these things to minimize user confusion, although it appears it
> was at the expense of maintainer confusion ;-).
>
> MH-E-NEWS is in the etc directory.

The problem is that all these files are mentioned in
lisp/mh-e/ChangeLog, so it is very confusing not to find them, or have
them in another directory.

I understand the reason for having the same ChangeLog in Emacs that
you have in your primary repository, but given that you already
move/delete some of the files (as you explained above), perhaps
editing ChangeLog that is checked into the Emacs CVS would not be such
a bad idea.

Alternatively, perhaps consider adding mh-xemacs.el, README and
MH-E-NEWS to lisp/mh-e anyway.  They shouldn't do too much harm, I
think; etc/NEWS could say something like "for changes in MH-E see
lisp/mh-e/MH-E-NEWS".