Re: bug in frame-width

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:20:18 +0300

Stefan wrote:

> > The problem is that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change the
> > `left-fringe' or `right-fringe' parameters, then (frame-width)
> > actually _should_ stay the same, but the X window should narrow or
> > broaden.  This does not happen.
>
> The general rule of thumb in X11 is that an application should only change
> its window's position and size if the user explicitly asks for it.  When the
> user asks to change the fringe, she does not request a change in the
> window's size, so frame-width should change so that the window's pixel
> size stays constant, not the other way around.
>
> > Note, by contrast, that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change
> > `menu-bar-lines', then the X window _does_ grow smaller or taller.
>
> Yes, it's been that way for a while, but I think it's bad behavior.

I agree absolutely.  Emacs should not touch window size when it
shows/hides its widgets.

I have this in my `~/.Xdefaults':

Emacs.menuBar:          off
Emacs.toolBar:          0
Emacs.geometry:         139x54+0+0

because I don't need the menu and the toolbar, but if I hide them
from `~/.emacs', then Emacs'es window size changes and that is very
annoying.  And, btw, I'm not satisfied with the above solution
because it is extremely non-obvious, was very difficult to find and
there is high chance that I forget to preserve `~/.Xdefaults'
contents when upgrading my system next time.

Paul