Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:17:31 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Riefenstahl" <address@hidden>

> printer device.  The printer driver is a plugin DLL for the Windows
> graphics API, the so-called "GDI".  Word (or Notepad or Mozilla) is

Thank you for the good descriptions.

> If you want OOTB printing for Emacs on Windows for any printer, you
> need either bundle (and automatically configure) Ghostscript, or you
> need to write a third printing implementation similar to ps-print.el
> that uses GDI calls.  The first solution is larger, but much easier to
> implement and automatically compatible with code that builds on top of
> ps-print.el.  Given that disk space and bandwidth is cheap these days
> and that Ghostscript is free, it may be the way to go.

I think using colored printing the way I suggested earlier is often good
enough. The advantage it has is that it is very simple. (Of course it is not
very elegant, but it is existing.) It is also a solution that probably can
be made portable since printing a html file is certainly a thing I guess can
be done on most main operating systems. It is in this way an interface to
the operating system for printing that is stable. That should be a main
concern I believe.

> This could be part of the Windows installer.  You may want to download
> Ghostscript as an automated step during installation and only, when it
> is not already installed.  I.e. make a customization option in the
> installer to either download Ghostscript or pick an existing
> installation or to do neither (that option would only be available at
> "expert" level, I guess).

I will try. Please tell me which Ghostscript to use.

- Lennart