Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:05:50 -0400

    With the current emacs display engine, there is no way
    to display something simple like

     AAAbbbbbbb
     AAAccccccc

    The best emacs can do is:

     AAAbbbbbbb
     AAA
        ccccccc

    as it has a primitive "no overlapping line" display model.

In a word processor, what constructs would give you something like
that?  I have no idea what HTML constructs could produce such a
layout; if there is a way, it must go beyond the simple HTML markup
that I know.

It seems to me that Emacs would be an adequate word processor for
editing things like manuals, and web pages that are mainly substance,
even if it could not do anything like this.