Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:17:28 +0200

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> [ Note; I'm pretty happy with Emacs's current word-processing facilities
>   right now and don't see any need for it to develop into yet-another
>   WYSIWYG thingy, so I'm generally not too intereted in this thread,
>   especially since I don't see anyone actually working on an implementation
>   of what you're talking about. ]
>
> I just think that WhyzzyTeX is also an interesting design point: you
> get to edit the deep representation (which, AFAIC, is not "just the
> disk format" but is the format where I can expresss my *intents*,
> i.e. where I can distinguish between two concepts even if they
> happen to be rendered identically on the currently used output
> mode), while seeing the typeset output "on the fly".

But as its display is outside of the scope of Emacs, it is mostly
academical for this discussion.

More interesting would be speculating about giving "calc" a better
formatted formula display: if you have compositions like in "Big mode"
(d B), then you can still put the cursor on elements and do selections
and so on.  If one were to render the stuff with TeX or similar
instead, how would one want to implement cursor navigation?