Re: find-file and backward-kill-word

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file and backward-kill-word
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:26:36 -0400

    That's correct.  However, I've had this setting since Emacs started
    letting one enter the prompt, and I've never missed the ability to
    kill anything in the prompt.

ISTR that the main reason for including the prompt in the buffer
was for the sake of simplifying redisplay.  It no longer has to treat
the prompt as a special case, and other special cases such as a prompt
longer than one line now work.  The ability to move into the prompt
sort of followed from that.

If making it in general impossible to move into the prompt makes
things less confusing in general for users, it might be a good idea.