Re: auto-coding-function for LaTeX

From: Arne Jørgensen
Subject: Re: auto-coding-function for LaTeX
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:50:09 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Arne Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:
>> If included it should probably be added to mule.el. I'm don't know
>> whether the latex-auto-coding-function should be added to
>> auto-coding-functions by default (sooner or later there will be a lot
>> of functions in there). I know it should be in my
>> auto-coding-functions though :-)
>
> I think there should be a new variable for "mode to auto-coding-function"
> mapping to be able to define
>
>     (latex-mode . latex-auto-coding-function).
>
> And the fact that currently `auto-coding-functions' contains by default
> `(sgml-xml-auto-coding-function sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function)'
> doesn't seem right.  They are called for every buffer, not just HTML
> and XML.

Yes. That was why I thouhgt it might not be a good idea to just add
it to `auto-coding-functions'. It looks like a general problem to
have too many functions inspecting _every_ file you open.

> Thanks to the new variable `magic-mode-alist' now it is possible
> to set SGML and HTML major modes depending on buffer contents.
> So these functions could be added to "mode to auto-coding-function"
> mapping to make them mode-dependent:
>
>     (xml-mode . sgml-xml-auto-coding-function)
>     (html-mode . sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function)
>
> instead of adding them to the default of `auto-coding-functions'.

[ remember I'm no expert so there is a good chance the following is
  wrong ]

As I understand it it is too late to change the coding system in a
proper way after the file is loaded into a buffer. I looked a bit at
various functions and `revert-buffer-with-coding-system' is close to
being useful, but I still asks me if I'm sure I want to revert the
buffer.

[ well ... this _is_ how I understand it ... but there _should_ be a
  way to change the coding system afterwards ]

Kind regards,
--
Arne Jørgensen
Gammel Kongevej 7, 1. th., DK-1610 Copenhagen V, Denmark