Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:57:05 -0500

The basic idea of the "emergency escape" feature is to provide a way
to get out of Emacs when it is not responding at all.

This is not needed on a window system, because you can make yourself
an xterm or whatever even if Emacs is not listening to you.  And you
could use the xterm to kill Emacs if that is what you want to do.

What did you wish to do using emergency escape under a window system?

    >> Maybe we could get the best of both worlds if we set it up so that
    >> quit can occur inside emacs_write only if it has been sitting there
    >> for 30 seconds or more since the last data it succeeded in writing.

    The idea sounds good, assuming you don't mean it to be specific to `write'.

The idea I had in mind is specific to e_write.  It is not needed for anything
else.  Most parts of Emacs will quit *very soon* if you type C-g.