Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:54:11 -0500

>    You might be right.  It does seem however that the :get and :set functions
>    don't need to do anything special.

> The problem with setting the variable with setq instead of through
> `custom-set-variables' is that various standard things like:

> (put 'custom-file 'saved-value '("~/mycustomfile"))

> and

> (custom-push-theme 'theme-value 'custom-file 'user 'set '("~/mycustomfile"))

Sure.  I wasn't arguing against using `load', just pointing out that it
might not be as important as it seems.  After all, AFAICT changing
custom-file via Custom itself currently just plain doesn't work and it's not
clear at all how to make it work.

This said, it's indeed probably better to tell people to `load' the custom
file rather than to `setq' the `custom-file' variable (among other things
because it involves much less magic, and works with Emacs-21.3).

        Stefan