Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:55:00 -0600 (CST)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   For the user there are two separate issues here: setting the file name
   where customize will save customized variables, and loading a file
   with user settings (i.e. an init file like ~/.emacs, but in another
   location).

If you want to load a file and not make it the custom file, there is
no problem.  I _was_ wondering whether there might be any situations
where one might want Custom to write, by default, to a file, which one
does not always want loaded.

I believe it should be possible to disable automatic loading of the
custom file.  So we need a variable `custom-file-loaded', which can be
defined with a defvar.

The user would do:

(setq custom-file ...)
(load ...)
(setq custom-file-loaded t)

This would only be necessary for a small minority of users.

Should Stefan's feature cause too much problems, then it could still
be reversed.  It is not part of any released version and if the user
is editing his .emacs, then typing an extra `(load ...)' is not that
much extra work, especially since this normally only needs to be done
with a new Emacs release.

Sincerely,

Luc.