Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:42:20 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>

> > Thanks. Then I must say I do not understand how this works. As far as
> > I see
> > for this to work reliably tooltip.el:tooltip-start-delayed-tip must
> > record
> > the mouse position (because if the mouse has moved when the timer
> > fires the
> > tooltip should not be shown). However it does not.
> >
> > Could someone please try to explain this to me? Am I missing something
> > here?
>
> I don't know how it is implemented, but the tooltip for a link in X11
> is not removed if you move the mouse within the link, it is only
> removed when you leave the link (i.e. the highlight is removed).  So
> the enter/leave link code must do something.

Yes, that is how it works on w32 too. I meant something a little bit
different. I think the timer for the tooltip popup should be canceled (and
maybe started again) every time the mouse is moved. Indeed I believe that is
what the code does.

However this does not work as intended. Sometimes the operation for
canceling the timer get queued but it is actually canceled and instead the
tooltip flashes by. To prevent this ugly behaviour that occurs on w32 the
mouse position where the timer where started must be recorded (I am
repeating myself here...). As far as I can see this is not done.

It is actually quite simple I believe now:

mouse-position should be called in tooltip.el: tooltip-start-delayed-tip and
then again in tooltip-timeout again. It the mouse position has changed then
tooltip-timeout should not run tooltip-hook. This should fix the problem
with the flashing tooltip. I will test and come back...