Re: Options menu

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:51:55 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>

> > Most applications I use on w32 have a "View" top menu.
>
> This was considered when the menu bar was restructured in preparation
> for Emacs 21.1.  The conclusion, IIRC, was that View is generally
> inappropriate in a text editor, because it is not a program whose
> purpose is to show you something, in which case View selects what
> details you are being shown.

I think that "View" here mostly is a synonym for "Appearance". In for
example Firefox View menu the main items are:

    Toolbars, Status Bar, Sidebars;
    Stop, Reload;
    Text Size, Page Style, Character Encoding;
    Page Source, Full Screen.

So if that was the reason not to have a View top menu then it might be time
to rethink?

> When Emacs 21.1 was released, many users complained about the changed
> menu-bar structure, even though the new structure was generally
> better, certainly more standard-compliant, and had many useful
> additions.  Still, they complained.  There's a lesson to be learned
> here, IMHO: significant changes in the menu bar should only be done
> for a very good reason.

This can be compared to that users of the perhaps most common office
software suite said that the restructuring of the menus in the different
applications to make them more similar was one of the things they liked the
best in the 2000 release. They all have a View top menu now.