Re: face colors on 256 colors terminals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: face colors on 256 colors terminals
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:03:18 +0200

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>

>> Actually, it does not make sense to scale in that way.  #3a7 really
>> should be the same as #3333aaaa7777, so that #fff is the same as
>> #ffffffffffff, pure white.
>
> That could be so, but:
>
>  (1) The #RRGGBB syntax being a legacy thingy, I don't believe anyone
>      will want to change it;

I'll grant that it is highly probably that this rather obvious
amendment has been previously proposed.  Maybe one would need an
alternative syntax like %RRGGBB that would then be expanded in the
more natural way of repetition instead of null-padding.  Who would one
have to approach for that, anyway?  The Open Group?

>  and
>
>  (2) As long as X does it this way, so must we,

Surely.