Re: bootstrap from scratch

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: bootstrap from scratch
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:28:27 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> convoluted way, I think; can't remember the details now). When I
> changed it so it did not, I had an email from someone saying he had
> missed a bunch of appointments.
>
> So I had to make loading the package activate it, for "historical
> reasons".

Mail from one user does not seem to be a good reason to reintroduce
buggy behaviour. It has been the convention in Emacs for a long time
now that loading a package does not have side-effects.

Perhaps a better approach is to start a timer on load, and if appt is
not "activated" within a few seconds, then warn the user that loading
the package no longer activates it, and tell them the prefered way of
activating appt (usually via an autoloaded function).