Re: The MH-E repository

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: The MH-E repository
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:08:17 +0200

Selon Bill Wohler <address@hidden>:

> Now that there is a separate lisp/mh-e directory, and all of the MH-E
> developers have signed papers and therefore should have write access or
> be able to get write access to the Emacs repository, I'd like to ask
> what folks think about moving the MH-E src module from SourceForge to
> gnu.org.

Hi,

I think this is a bad idea, especially for those who like to do regular
checkouts in order to have the cutting edge versions. There is no
really benefit.

I'll add that trying to integrate more and more lisp modules in Emacs
core is bad, and even worst since there are so few Emacs
releases that people always use more recent versions of modules
they grabbed from outside instead of the ones shipped with Emacs (for
example: Gnus, speedbar, ...).

To my mind, the good solution would be to ship modules in a separate
tarball and update them more frequently.

--
Jérôme Marant