RE: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: RE: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:25:31 +1200

 > The following change seems to have removed the important variable
 > tooltip-use-echo-area, with no apparent replacement.
 > Besides breaking lisp code that was written for 21.1, I don't recall any
 > discussion about why this feature should be deprecated.
 >

 >  2005-04-20  Nick Roberts  <address@hidden>
 >
 >     * tooltip.el (tooltip-use-echo-area): Replace as alias and deprecate.

It *was* discussed at great length on emacs-devel. It has *not* been removed
but has an alias: gud-tooltip-echo-area. Normal tooltips and GUD tooltips have
been split, the code for the latter now resides in gud.el. The new behaviour
is documented in the Emacs Manual. It is also described in NEWS.

Why is tooltip-use-echo-area so important?

What code does it break?

Nick