Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:15:44 -0500 (CDT)

Also, unless I misunderstand, I believe that your :initialize function
would not solve the following problem:

I have:

(setq default-indicate-empty-lines t)

in my .emacs.

Just loading fringe overrides this.  `custom-initialize-reset' is a real
problem, in that user customizations can be overridden without notice
by just loading files.  It was made the default :initialize function
to handle some problems with autoloaded defcustoms, but it probably
creates worse problems than it solves.

In this case there is, apart from the `custom-initialize-reset'
problem, the problem that the :set function appears to be flawed.
Even if you replace `custom-initialize-reset' with
`custom-initialize-set' or with your function, it would appear that
experimenting with customizing `fringe-indicators' through Custom and
then erasing that customization using Custom will reset
default-indicate-empty-lines to nil, which it should not.

I believe that there is a design flaw with `fringe-indicators'.  I
believe that this flaw should be fixed in such a way that
`default-indicate-buffer-boundaries' gets respected and that one can
safely do:

:initialize 'custom-initialize-set

The docstring of fringe-indicators is wrong:

  "Visually indicate buffer boundaries and scrolling.
Setting this variable, changes `default-indicate-buffer-boundaries'."

No setting this variable only takes effect by loading or reloading
fringe, or when set through Custom.

Sincerely,

Luc.