Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:37:12 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > indicate-buffer-boundaries would be the place to specify this.
>
>     I don't see why the mapping should be restricted to just the bitmaps
>     used for buffer boundaries ?
>
> As far as I know, these bitmaps are used in two ways.   You can specify
> them by name, in a display property, and certain fixed bitmap names
> are used for specific standard purposes.
>
> In the case of the display property, you can give the bitmap any name
> you like; the display property specifies which name to use.
>
> My proposal is to create a similar level of specifying the name for
> the specific standard purposes.

I understand that, but I don't see why we need two different ways to
modify them -- you can redefine the standard bitmap directly, so I
don't see why do we need an extra level of indirection here (which has
to be done at the C level to an already quite complex piece of code).

Currently, what we have are standard bitmaps for "bob-left",
"bob-right", "eob-left", "eob-right" etc...

But, rather than following the existing pattern of naming them after
their purpose (like "continuation-line", "left-truncation" etc), I
have named them after their visual appearence, e.g. "top-left-angle",
"top-right-angle", "bottom-left-angle", etc...

That is a bug IMO, so I agree with Miles that those names should be
changed to match their purpose rather their appearence.  If we do that,
the extra level of indirection you suggested is not necessary.

The relevant bitmaps that should be renamed are:

up-arrow             => top-scroll
down-arrow           => bottom-scroll

top-left-angle       => left-beginning-of-buffer
top-right-angle      => right-beginning-of-buffer

bottom-left-angle    => left-end-of-buffer
bottom-right-angle   => right-end-of-buffer

left-bracket         => left-all-of-buffer
right-bracket        => right-all-of-buffer