Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:28:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:39:44 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>

Paper size is one I remember right now. Another is the location of Ghostscript.

How about adding some code to `openp' so that, on w32 platforms, it
would look for the program/file in the Registry, in addition to the
list of directories it gets as its argument?

In other words, searching for a file or a program is already a
functionality for which we have an established API in Emacs.
Extending that API to handle Ghostscript and similar cases is
something that IMHO will be met with less resistance than inventing a
Windows-only API.
A note for non w32 users: On w32 application paths are (if the installation process is welbehaved) stored in a Registry key under "App Paths" (with a path prepended, the registry has an hierarchical view looking like a tree structured file system).

For those applications that uses this possibility I think this could be used. I found it however a bit hard to think of a seamless way to integrate this in openp. Could you elaborate a little bit more?

My primary thoughts are that this could be restricted to the case when you search for an .exe file on w32 and this is not found in the path. In openp there is needed a piece of w32 specific code at the end that calls the w32 procedure. Not too disturbing perhaps. And it should work "out of the box" in most places in Emacs. Quite nice.