Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:53:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:50:14 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\.
I see. The path is not as unpredictable as I thought. However, gs.exe
or gswin32.exe is not listed in my registry, even though I have it
installed, so this is not useful for finding ghostscript.

We have a specific situation where looking in the Registry was
suggested: finding Ghostscript.  Lennart, can you tell how the
Registry is used to find Ghostscript, and what applications do that?
Then we could reason about possible utility of whatever those
applications do to our case.

Without the specifics, this argument sounds a bit academic.
In the case of Ghostscript it is actually quite complicated. I have code for finding Ghostscript in the file w32-regdat.el which is part of EmacsW32. This uses an external program to read the Registry. The actual Registry interface is in w32-reg-iface.el (also in EmacsW32).

It is quite much code to put here on the list. If this is interesting for the arguments here then maybe you could look in the zip file found here:

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/

Finding GSview is in contrast very simple since it is in App Paths.